Re: A3XX vs B747-600

From:         faurecm@halcyon.com (C. Marin Faure)
Date:         25 Sep 96 13:40:12

In article <airliners.1996.1907@ohare.Chicago.COM>, psagdeo@aol.com wrote:

> OK. Here are some of the things being talked about the 747 "derivative."
> It will weigh about 300,000 to 600,000 lb more than the current versions
> of the aircraft.  It will have a new engine, new wing, new technology
> "derived" from the 777 experience, new undercarriage, wider fuselage and
> will be limited in overall size by the airports that can handle it.

Some of that is right.  The 747-500/600 will have derivatives of existing
engines, not brand new ones, unless someone at a later date decides to
make one.  They will have a new wing based on the 777 airfoil.  They will
have new landing gear to support the higher weights.  They will have
systems based on the 777's systems.  THey will NOT have a wider fuselage,
only longer ones.  They will be able to aperate at all the airports the
potential customers have indicated they want to operate to.

> Please do not call it a new aircraft.

It depends on your definition of new.  From an aerodyamic standpoint, all
the fuselage does is keep the wind out of your face.  So if you take a
fuselage that happens to already be perfect for its purpose, add a brand
new wing using the best aerodynamic knowledge in existance today, put on
state-of-the-art, high-bypass fanjets, and add the most advanced and
reliable airplane systems in the world, it sounds like a new airplane to
me.  It may LOOK like a 747, and that's what we're going to call it, but
as far as its performance and capabilities go, it's a new airplane.

C. Marin Faure
   author, Flying a Floatplane