From:         faurecm@halcyon.com (C. Marin Faure)
Date:         25 Sep 96 13:40:12

In article <airliners.1996.1882@ohare.Chicago.COM>, psagdeo@aol.com
(Psagdeo) wrote:

> Here is my $0.02 worth on this topic.  Remember the 767-X.  It was never a
> 767-X.  It was 777 to start with.  Boeing marketing geniuses did not want
> any of their competitors to think that the company was coming up with a
> totally new very large twin engined aircraft that could dominate the
> segment left open between the 767and the 747.  Boeing 747-500/600/(700,
> 800, whatever) are in my judgement the same ploy.

The basic dimensions, weights, capacities, and ranges of the 747-500/600
have already been made public. While as of this date the airplanes have
not been launched, both derivatives are based on the 747-400.  The planes
will have an all-new wing, new landing gear, new engines, new systems
based on the 777's, and longer fuselages, but from the layman's point of
view, they will look like a 747.

C. Marin Faure
   author, Flying a Floatplane