Re: longest flight?

From:         Alan Wong <Alan.Wong@anu.edu.au>
Date:         25 Sep 96 13:40:12

kls@ohare.Chicago.COM (Karl Swartz) wrote:
>(An interesting side-bar is that JFK-JNB is one of the few interesting
>routes outside the Pacific between Hawaii and North America which needs
>180 minute ETOPS to operate with a twin, assuming any twin had enough
>range.  There's a "hole" in the Atlantic just north of the equator for
>120 minute ETOPS, but most interesting flights can skirt the edges of
>it and thus not require the more stringent 180 minute ETOPS rating.)

This opens up an interesting topic. What are the major routes (either
currently possible or likely to be possible in the not too distant future)
that cannot be flown with 180 minute ETOPS? The ones that come to my mind
are flights over southern hemisphere oceans ie flights linking Australia,
Africa and South America. Tahiti to Los Angeles seems to be one and possibly
Europe to southern South America. In contrast, I believe that all intra
northern hemisphere routes can be done by 180 minute ETOPS. Any comments and
corrections?

Alan.