Re: longest flight?

From:         dorfman@netcom.com (Merlin Dorfman)
Date:         25 Sep 96 13:40:11

Karl Swartz (kls@ohare.Chicago.COM) wrote:
: That qualifier is necessary because SAA flies, or flew,
: a non-stop JFK-JNB (Johannesburg, South Africa; 7968 miles) flight
: using a 747-400.  However, due to headwinds and reduced performance
: due to altitude and heat at JNB, the westbound flight requires a fuel
: stop.

     My wife and my sister-in-law have both flown this JFK-JNB segment
in both directions (not together) and I believe it stopped in the
Azores to refuel every time.  Sample size is at least six flights,
three in each direction, various times of the year.