Re: "Crooked 737s?"

From:         faurecm@halcyon.com (C. Marin Faure)
Date:         25 Sep 96 13:40:11

In article <airliners.1996.1914@ohare.Chicago.COM>, gsjames@ix.netcom.com
(Gary S. James ) wrote:
>  Although I
> have not checked with my friends at Boeing, I have been told that the
> main gear trucks of the 737 have a slight ability to swivel (about 5
> degrees) to reduce the effects of sideload during landings when the
> CAPTAIN (we FO's would never do such a thing) land in a crab.  Sounded
> reasonable to me, so I never checked further.  I know that the B-52 has
> the ability to align the gear with the runway to reduce the effect of
> sideloads.

Of course, the B-52's crosswind bicycle landing gear is a whole different
animal than anything on a commercial jetliner.  It is actually
pre-positioned by the flight crew in the desired crab angle while the
airplane is on final.  After the plane lands in its crabbed position, it
continues to roll out this way (a very strange sight if you've ever seen
the film we've taken tracking down a runway ahead of a crabbed B-52).  At
some point, the pilot removes the crab by rotating his big control knob to
zero, and the plane steers out of the crab to track straight ahead.

C. Marin Faure
   author, Flying a Floatplane