Re: "Crooked 737s?"

From:         gsjames@ix.netcom.com (Gary S. James )
Date:         18 Sep 96 13:50:36

In <airliners.1996.1854@ohare.Chicago.COM> mikem727@aol.com (MikeM727)
writes:

>At BWI often our 727 is lined up behind a half-dozen or more USAir 737s.
>My crew and I have consistently noticed something every time we taxi
>behind a 737.  From behind, they seem to be bent while taxiing!  What I
>mean is, while the nose wheel is on the centerline and tracking straight,
>the main wheels are not equidistant from the centerline.  It looks like
>the thing is crabbing.  What's the deal with that?  Anybody?

Mike:

I too have noticed the same effect and wondered about it.  Although I
have not checked with my friends at Boeing, I have been told that the
main gear trucks of the 737 have a slight ability to swivel (about 5
degrees) to reduce the effects of sideload during landings when the
CAPTAIN (we FO's would never do such a thing) land in a crab.  Sounded
reasonable to me, so I never checked further.  I know that the B-52 has
the ability to align the gear with the runway to reduce the effect of
sideloads.

Gary,
ATP/FO Airbus 320

--