Re: "Crooked 737s?"

From:         ddand@aol.com (DDAnd)
Date:         18 Sep 96 13:50:35

The 737 is the only airplane that I know that has shimmy dampers on the
MLG and that are located at the knee of the scissors links as near as I
can tell from the diagrams of the gear that I have seen.  In order to
absorb energy to keep the gear from shimmying  there has to be some
relative motion  about the  oleo centerline between the trunnion and the
unsprung mass of the landing gear.  It could be that after turning the
gear will preload the damper in one direction or the other and results in
basically a 'steering' input at the MLG and result in the characterisitc
that you mention. Is the crabbing always in the same direction?