Re: Great Circle mapper; sci.aeronautics.airliners WWW page news

From:         frensley@utdallas.edu (Bill Frensley)
Date:         18 Sep 96 13:50:33

In article <airliners.1996.1836@ohare.Chicago.COM>, kls@ohare.Chicago.COM (Karl Swartz) writes:
|> In May, 1994, Terry Drinkard started a thread on Really Long Range
|> Commercial Transports.  That sent me scurrying for my atlas and to
|> find an equation for computing great circle distances, and was the
|> genesis of a much larger project -- not just to compute distances
|> along a great circle route, but to show them on a map.

A few years ago I was looking through an almanac and found a table of
airline distances between world cities.  The longest distance listed was
Bangkok to Lima, Peru, which was a bit over 12000 sm (i.e. nearly half
of the earth's circumference).  I got out my globe, placed an index finger
on each of the said cities, and the sphere was balanced.  Are there any
other "antipode pairs" of major cities?  And how plausible would airline
service between them be?

--
Bill Frensley
Electrical Engineering