Re: Fuselage temps, wind, et al

From:         Reid Fairburn <cr_king@cr_king.seanet.com>
Date:         17 Sep 96 13:53:07

At 02:24 AM 9/17/96, you wrote:
>Why is anti-ice applied on the leading edge of the wing (of a
>high-altitude) and not on the fuselage?  Can we assume that friction
>also generates enough heat to prevent a build-up of ice on the
>fuselage?  And if so, what is the surface temperature of the fuselage at
>cruising speed/altitude?

======Normally only the wings are deiced or sprayed to prevent icing.  The
fuselage and empennage can sustain a lot of ice before it becomes a big
factor in airplane control.  The wing on the other hand is very sensitive to
ice as it effects the air flow pattern around the surface and can cause a
loss of lift.  I would expect but don't know for sure, that the fuselage and
tail would be cleaned with the tail control surfaces probably getting some
deicing if the weather was really bad.

>Without or without computers, how is wind & direction computed during
>flight?

======The wind is determined from comparing the actual heading of the
airplane against the determined actual track across the ground.  Knowing the
drift angle and airspeed one can then determine the value of the wind.
Either  the pilot or the computers can do the job.  In modern airplanes, the
INS, IRS or FMC will normally be used to do the job...and they are very
accurate...except when the airplane is in uncoordinated flight which yields
errors in the drift angle.

Reid Fairburn
Creative Kingdom, Inc.
cr_king@cr_king.seanet.com