Re: Media biasness reporting crashes?

From:         Pete Mellor <pm@csr.city.ac.uk>
Date:         10 Feb 96 12:30:52

Adrian Phillips <acphilli@uoguelph.ca> writes (08 Feb 96 03:21:05):-

> ... When the media reports the crash of a foriegn built aircraft
> ... the report is "the crash of a Russian built Antonov
> aircraft" with special note of the country of manufacture. On the other
> hand, crashes of North American built aircraft state " the crash of a
> Boeing 757" with no mention of the country of manufacture.
>
> If this is really a trend, what are the possible reasons for it and can
> it really be justified???

As they say: "Nobody ever got rich by over-estimating the intelligence
of the public!"  (Note: I don't say *which* public! :-)

Perhaps the editors know that the public they are aiming at can be
relied upon to know that Boeing are based in the USA, but wouldn't
know an Antonov from a Fokker (and come to that, I didn't know that
Fokker were Dutch until they went bust! :-)

Pete
----
Peter Mellor, Centre for Software Reliability, City University, Northampton
Square, London EC1V 0HB, UK. Tel: +44 (171) 477-8422, Fax: +44 (171) 477-8585
E-mail: p.mellor@csr.city.ac.uk