Re: "Crooked 737s?"

From:         Jim Messina <sky@neosoft.com>
Date:         17 Sep 96 02:24:42

On 13 Sep 1996, MikeM727 wrote:

> At BWI often our 727 is lined up behind a half-dozen or more USAir 737s.
> My crew and I have consistently noticed something every time we taxi
> behind a 737.  From behind, they seem to be bent while taxiing!  What I
> mean is, while the nose wheel is on the centerline and tracking straight,
> the main wheels are not equidistant from the centerline.  It looks like
> the thing is crabbing.  What's the deal with that?  Anybody?

Easy one. They are taxiing out with only one engine running to save fuel.
It does put side loads of the nosehweel with the engine out on the wing
but seems to be standard practice when the aircraft is light and delays at
the runway are expected(you're number 5 for takeoff).

When the aircraft is heavy, single engine taxi out is difficult and
possibly hazardous to ground personell or structures because of the large
breakaway thrust needed.

B737
http://www.neosoft.com/~sky