From:         faurecm@halcyon.com (C. Marin Faure)
Date:         17 Sep 96 02:24:40

leahy@panam.demon.co.uk wrote:

> Trippe ordered the three Concordes to force Kennedy's hand into
> supporting the U.S. SST project. Kennedy had sent Najeeb Halaby, then
> head of the FAA to tell Trippe not to buy the foreign supersonic before
> he had made up his mind, however Trippe announced the Concorde order
> the day before the promised announcement by Kennedy (Monday following
> Memorial day 1963). Kennedy was furious and sent Halaby back to Trippe
> for an explanation and told him to tell Trippe "we will not forget
> this" but he was forced to announce support for the SST.
>
> In Mar 71 both houses voted to withdraw further Federal funding and
> Boeing laid off 62,000 workers.

The massive Boeing layoffs were not only as a result of the SST
cancellation.  Airplane orders had dropped substantially, particularly for
the 747.  The company had staffed up tremendously to manufacture it, and
the vast numbers of people simply weren't needed.  This was before
automation and more efficient manufacturing and assembly process were in
effect, so it took many more people to build a plane then than it does
today.  Also, another government project, the Boeing Dynasoar, which was a
space shuttle forerunner, was cancelled during the same time period, which
added to the general downturn.

C. Marin Faure
   author, Flying a Floatplane