Re: Media biasness reporting crashes?

From:         rna@gsb-crown.Stanford.EDU (Robert Ashcroft)
Date:         10 Feb 96 12:30:52

Adrian C Phillips <acphilli@uoguelph.ca> wrote:
>Is it my imagination or have I really noticed the following trend.  When
>the media reports the crash of a foriegn built aircraft such as the
>recent crash in Zaire the report is "the crash of a Russian built Antonov
>aircraft" with special note of the country of manufacture.  On the other
>hand, crashes of North American built aircraft state " the crash of a
>Boeing 757" with no mention of the country of manufacture.
>
>If this is really a trend, what are the possible reasons for it and can
>it really be justified???

Just a guess:  because the assumption of the media you are watching/reading
is that you grasp what just about everyone knows---i.e. that Boeing
is American.  Whereas there's probably a large fraction of people in
the world who've never heard of Antonov, let alone know where it comes
from.

Really, it sounds like you are looking for Reds under beds, so to speak.

RNA