Re: Jet Engine Containment

From:         thomas smith <trsmith@prado.com>
Date:         17 Sep 96 02:24:39

P. Wezeman wrote:

>   I also understand that the uncontained engine failure that led to the early >1990's forced landing of a DC10 in Souix City, Iowa, was due to the failure of >the entire fan disc,

...the fan disc yes .. and also the routing off hyd lines from all three
systems in the same general areas of the horizontal stabilizer which
allowed a catstrophic failure to vent all the fluid from all three
systems and disable all the flight controls.  Its hard to fault MDC for
this as the odds of such an event occurring and the odds of hyd tubing
from all three systems being cut from such an event were astronomical.
The DC-10 is quite a quirky bird, however : )

-thomas-