From:         Jean-Francois Mezei <jfmezei@videotron.ca>
Date:         13 Sep 96 03:03:38

C. Marin Faure wrote:
> wing technology we put into the 777 wing.  The industry has learned a lot
> about wings, wing structure, and aerodynamics since the Boeing 737 and 747
> were designed, so much so that the performance improvements of today's
> wings are considerable.

Ok, so in the case of the 747,  the old wing design had become a
"hindrance" to added pax and range, so the use of a totally new wing
with today's efficient designs is a "must" in order to acheive the
stated goals (range/pax).

However, in the case of the potential A3XX, since the A340 already has a
modern wing, is it conceiveable that Airbus might be able to adapt the
existing 340 wing design instead of design a brand new one from scratch
? Would such a "new" wing be all that different from the existing 340
wing ?

And taking this to another plane, if Boeing builds its new 747s, could
the 777s wings not be adapted to the new 747s ?

Even if the actual wing cannot be adapted litterally, wouldn't the
expertise and computer simulation programmes developped for the 777 not
reduce the costs of the 747s new wings ? Or would this knowledge already
be considered "old" and no longer state-of-the-art forcing Boeing to
start from "scratch" ?