Re: Over-head Bins

From:         jimc@internorth.com (Jim Cameron)
Date:         13 Sep 96 03:03:38

Artus_R@DELETE-THISmediasoft.net (Richard Artus) wrote:

>  Have any airliner interior designers considered putting the overhead
>bins at floor level and mounting the seats on top of those bins.
>  Seems to me this would solve several problems.  One passengers would not
>have to lift heavy items up into sometimes difficult overhead locations.
>Also in turbulence those items that often fly out of overhead bins would
>already be at floor level and possibly not nearly as much of a hazard.
>  I realize making a floor level bin structurally strong enough to mount
>seats on top of them would be a bit of a challenge but couldn't something
>like this be done?

How do you get into the underseat bin.

 Do you have the door in the isle?
Not very practical. Especially if I have the window seat and I am
flying from A to B. You have the isle seat and are flying from A to
C,. At B I want to get my bag but everyone is standing in the isle and
I have to remove your bag to get mine.

Do you have the door at our feet?
Also not very practical.  The door would be in the way of our feet or
too small to  carry a bag.

Manager Dispatch
NWT air
Yellowknife, NWT