From:         Michael Leahy <leahy@panam.demon.co.uk>
Date:         13 Sep 96 03:03:37

> In article <airliners.1996.1727@ohare.chicago.com>,
> C. Marin Faure <faurecm@halcyon.com> wrote:
> >In article <airliners.1996.1702@ohare.Chicago.COM>, Don.Stokes@vuw.ac.nz
> >(Don Stokes) wrote:
> >> Even if the SST had survived, the huge drop in seat-mile costs that came
> >> with the 747 (and other widebodies) would have meant there was always a
> >> market for cheap subsonic travel.  I doubt any SST with the equivalent
> >> capacity of a 707 could come close to a 747 when looking at raw seat-mile
> >> numbers, and practical experience with Concorde tends to bear this out.
> >
> >I suspect you're right.  I was simply stating what Mr. Tripp's intention
> >was at the time, when everyone seemed to think that supersonic travel was
> >the answer to everyone's travel needs.
>
> That certainly was Trippe's view, however when push came to shove, other
> airlines didn't share Trippe's enthusiasm.  Trippe himself didn't
> actually put his money where his mouth was on the SST, although he did
> take options on Concorde (which were quietly forgotten about after Trippe
> stepped down).

Trippe ordered the three Concordes to force Kennedy's hand into
supporting the U.S. SST project. Kennedy had sent Najeeb Halaby, then
head of the FAA to tell Trippe not to buy the foreign supersonic before
he had made up his mind, however Trippe announced the Concorde order
the day before the promised announcement by Kennedy (Monday following
Memorial day 1963). Kennedy was furious and sent Halaby back to Trippe
for an explanation and told him to tell Trippe "we will not forget
this" but he was forced to announce support for the SST.

In Mar 71 both houses voted to withdraw further Federal funding and
Boeing laid off 62,000 workers.

Pan Am did not drop the Concorde orders quietly but like all other
airlines that had ordered the aircraft (except the British and French
state airlines) they cancelled when,after the Arab Israeli War in 1973,
the Arab countries imposed a ban on oil exports to the USA and the
price of oil shot up through the roof. The already uncertain economics
of Concorde now became very uneconomic.

 As an aside, Charles Lindbergh, who had at last become a director of
Pan Am was against supersonics on both enviromental and economic
grounds.

 Mike Leahy,
 Of no one, nowhere, anymore.