Re: Airliner 1/4 mile ETs and MPH?? :-)

From:         "BRAD GILLIES" <bradg@io.org>
Date:         13 Sep 96 03:03:35

Ed Treijs <transam@idirect.com> wrote in article
<airliners.1996.1782@ohare.Chicago.COM>...
> I originally posted this in misc.transport.air-industry, but it was
> suggested I redirect it here.
>
>  ET> A long time ago, I read a Car and Driver (or some other mag) article
>  ET> where they tested a Corvette ZR-1 against a WWII P52 Mustang.  The
>  ET> Mustang just plain outaccelerated the ZR-1, even in the quarter mile.
<snip>

>  ET> The way I see it, most jetliners are a bit sluggish off the mark, but
>  ET> contine to *improve* their acceleration as they go.  The 60' times
>  ET> would be unimpressive, but once it gets going....  :-)

Jet Engines Take, on average 7 seconds to spool up to max static thrust so
the times would be rather slow.

>  ET> Being a warm night, I stopped by Pearson International and hung out
>  ET> at the end of a runway.  A Royal (whazzat?) 727 actually locked its
>  ET> brakes on, and ran the engines up to full thrust, and sat there for a
>  ET> couple of seconds before starting to roll (kinda "brake torqueing",
>  ET> eh).  Man, that thing was loud!  Kinda weird that the plane
>  ET> waited....them 727s aren't intercontinental planes, but hey it did
>  ET> seem to take a loooong ways to get airborne.  The really strange
>  ET> (worrisome?) thing was that another plane was about to land on the
>  ET> same runway.  I would guess that the next flight touched down 15-30
>  ET> seconds after the Royal plane had lifted off.  Seemed *very* close
>  ET> timing to me.

Royal Airlines flies their 727s on some long routes Some flights require
fuel stops even with the tanks filled to capacity.  The standing start you
witnessed allows the aircraft to takeoff without taking out the approach
lights at the other end of the runway.  The aircraft was probably fully
fuelled and fully loaded with passengers (Very close to Max Gross I would
Guess).  I've even wondered if they would make it on some days in the
summer.

As for the spacing,  Toronto usually spaces aircraft during peak hours for
70 movements per hour (takeoff and landing)  So there is an average delay
of 40 seconds between landings or landings and takeoffs and vice versa.