Re: Takeoff wheel spin

From:         etech@deltanet.com (Eric Chevalier)
Date:         13 Sep 96 03:03:34

In <airliners.1996.1706@ohare.Chicago.COM>, jbtex@aol.com (JbTex) writes:

>As a casual observer of a/c, I've got a question.
>
>When jet airliners take off, they seem to tuck their
>landing gear away soon after liftoff.  Is any retardation
>applied to the spinning wheels before they're
>lifted into their stowage position?  Or can they
>still be spinning after they're up?

Not quite "airliner" related, but ISTR reading an article many years ago
that wheel spin after take-off was a major problem for early C-5 cargo
transports.  I believe the C-5 has four main landing gear assemblies,
each with 6 tires per assembly.  Early in the flight test program, it
was found that after take-off, the gyroscopic force of so many spinning
wheels was preventing the retracting mechanism from working correctly.
So a fix was developed that would apppy brakes to the wheels before
initiating the retraction process.

etech@deltanet.com           Eric Chevalier       Compu$erve: 76010,2463
etech@netcom.com         ---------------------          Prodigy: GCXJ11A
                    http://users.deltanet.com/~etech