Re : Engine fire extinguishers... do they exist?

From:         GWilson404@aol.com
Date:         13 Sep 96 03:03:34

bareynol@cca.rockwell.com (Brian A. Reynolds) writes:

>3. - Any special gas, different to those used in regular fire
> extinguishers?
>
>Halon was the gas of choice, but that is no longer 'politically
>correct' and it is being replaced by 'otehr stuff.'  (sorry for the
>technical jargon - but I don't know what the replacement is or how it
>compares with halon.)

There are 2 main contenders for the replacement of HALON which is now
outlawed for new design. These are CF3I and FE-25 (sorry don't have the
proper chemical designations to hand.) Both require more volume and weight
for the same extinguishing performance, but CF3I is closer to being a drop
in replacement. Unfortunately there are health issues with it (toxicity
and heart sensitisation) and it looks to be a non-starter. FE-25 requires
about twice the weight and volume of an equivalent system and is currently
being evaluated in Phase 3 of a Halon Replacement Study being done at
Wright Patterson. My understanding is that it should be available for
design use around the end of the year (i.e. design rules clearly
identified etc with FAA approval).

However FE-25 is not considered appropriate for cabin fire extinguishing ,
only engines and APUs.

Gerald Wilson