Re: Can't use GPS on Alaska Airlines

From:         mikem727@aol.com (MikeM727)
Date:         13 Sep 96 03:03:33

In article <airliners.1996.1778@ohare.Chicago.COM>, kbarr@csn.net (Keith
Barr) writes:

>Well, after reading about CD players being able to effect navigation
bands
>I did a little empirical test.  I put a CD player near my VOR radio, and
>sure enough I could hear the music coming through on the VOR!  Certainly
>not unsubstantiated anecdotal evidence.
>
>I am sure that there are some experts who can explain this, but as I
>understand it (I am not an EE, nor do I play one on TV), the RF comes
from
>crystal oscillators in the CD players and in the FM sets.

I've never heard of pagers or CD players being banned on flights.  Sure,
everything should be turned off for takeoff and landing, and cell phones
should never be used, but aren't CD players and pagers allowed during
cruise flight?  Heck, I know I've been paged in flight...in the cockpit!

Mike,
ATP/FE, Boeing 727
Props are for boats!