Re: NTSB to recommend changes to 757, 737

From:         "McElravy" <cpa1@penn.com>
Date:         13 Sep 96 03:03:32

> A story in today's Wall St. Journal reports that the NTSB is readying
> recommendations for safety changes to the 757 and 737. These changes,
> briefly, involve "equipment and pilot training," mentioning only
> "advanced ground collision avoidance systems" as the equipment change
> for the 757 (in response to the AA757 crash near Cali, Colombia). The
> 737 changes were not specified except to say that they are "separate"
> from the changes to the 757.

What I liked about the article is that the new avoidance systems are only
for the 757. After all its the only plane to have crashed into a mountain
recently, so it must be the only plane to need the system. :-) Usually the
WSJ points out bureaucratic lapses in logic, but they didn't point this one
out. They did however admit that the system MIGHT be added into other
airliners.
							Evan McElravy
							cpa1@penn.com