Re: Jet Engine Containment

From:         "P. Wezeman" <pwezeman@blue.weeg.uiowa.edu>
Date:         13 Sep 96 03:03:32

   My thanks to everyone who answered my question about the containment
required for rotating components on jet engines of airliners, both by
e-mail and by posting here to sci.aeronautics.airliners.
   As I now understand it, all such engines are required to demonstrate
that they can contain a broken fan blade in order to be certified. I also
understand that the uncontained engine failure that led to the early 1990's
forced landing of a DC10 in Souix City, Iowa, was due to the failure of the
entire fan disc, as was the recent event where fragments from a JT8D engine
penetrated the fuselage of an MD80 or similar aircraft. Please correct me
if any of this is wrong. Also, could anyone hazard a guess as to how much
weight it would add to a plane to enable it to contain a fan disc?
   Most airliners that I've been on have a sort of closet where oversize
items of carry on baggage such as garment bags can be stowed. Is this
closet built into the aircraft's structure, or could it be re-located
adjacent to the engines' fan sections on a rear-engined airliner to
provide some additional protection from a burst engine, at least on one
side?

                        Peter Wezeman, anti-social Darwinist

                             "Carpe Cyprinidae"