Re: Towing, was: O'Hare -> Hong Kong Non-Stop

From:         aircargo@cris.com (Michal Douglas)
Date:         07 Sep 96 17:09:14

wb8foz@netcom.com (David Lesher) wrote:

>lstone@interserve.com (Larry Stone) wrote:

>>Apparently, one fuel saving technique being used is the plane is towed to
>>the runway and engines started in the runup area.

I'm not sure about scheduled routes, but towing for fuel economy is
not an uncommon practice in maintenance stops.

For example, here in Mobile, AL the heavy maintenance facility (MAE)
at BFM regularly tows departing aircraft to the runway. The air cargo
carriers (who are used to  less than .05/gal flowage fees in their
scheduled stops) find that the .20/gal fees (or higher) that the FBOs
charge make quite a difference when you're talking about a 70,000 lb+
uplift.
-
Michal Douglas   <aircargo@cris.com>
http://www.concentric.net/~aircargo
mirror site: http://www.logisticstraining.com
The Home Page for misc.transport.air-industry.cargo