Re: Boeing Pronunciation

From:         rickydik@ix.netcom.com (RD Rick)
Date:         07 Sep 96 17:09:14

In <airliners.1996.1627@ohare.Chicago.COM> faurecm@halcyon.com (C.
Marin Faure) writes:

>I have always heard it pronounced that way (Em-Dee-Eleven), and that's
>what we call it at Boeing, but I don't know what the people at Douglas
>say.  Of course, we also call McDonnell-Douglas "Mac-Dac," so who
knows if>we're right on the MD-11 or not?  I don't know what else you'd
call it>though.  The "Em-Dee-One-One?"

I heard that when McDonnell first took over Douglas in the early 70's,
a few people began calling it McDonald Duck.  A directive came down to
all employees that this would not be tolerated.  As most of them had
never heard McDonald Duck, management spread an isolated joke into a
company-wide problem.  Workers went around saying, "Quack, Quack."

RD