Re: Wave Vortex Avoidance

From:         gfoley@freenet.columbus.oh.us (Gerard Foley)
Date:         07 Sep 96 17:09:13

Peter Ladkin (ladkin@TechFak.Uni-Bielefeld.DE) wrote:
<snip>

: So I looked at the FAA WWW site, and in 5 minutes of surfing, found
: FSAT 96-12/FSGA 96-07, which redefines the classification of aircraft
: into Heavy/Large/Small. New is H: \geq 255000lbs; L: \geq 41000lbs &
: < 255000lbs; S: <41000lbs.

Either I misunderstand or this is wrong.  I would think S:<255000
H:>410000 and L in between.

: "This action moves 55 aircraft into the
: small category that were previously classified as large. [...] THe SF-340
: and ATR-42 will be exempt from the small category and will be classified
: as large aircraft for separation purposes. On-going studies may exempt
: other aircraft in the future."

Does this mean something as small as ATR-42 makes strong vortices?

<snip>

--
Gerry