re:inoperative Fire Detection

From:         Kamal Hisham <kamalh@pc.jaring.my>
Date:         07 Sep 96 17:09:12

Good morning to all,

I am a pilot on the B747-400, and I am interested in opinions on the =
unavailibity of the fire detection system on one engine.  Supposing a =
flight departs with Fire Detector Loop A on engine # 1 inoperative, and, =
inflight, Loop B on the same engine fails.  Now, a situation exists =
where there is a total unavailibilty of fire detection on eng # 1. =
Should the flight continue to destination, or should it be landed at the =
nearest suitable airport? Shut down the engine or let it be ?
What else can be done to take care of the situation?

Regards,
Kamal