Re: Takeoff wheel spin

From:         "David K. Cornutt" <cornutt@hiwaay.net>
Date:         07 Sep 96 17:09:10

In article <airliners.1996.1706@ohare.Chicago.COM> JbTex, jbtex@aol.com
writes:
>When jet airliners take off, they seem to tuck their
>landing gear away soon after liftoff.  Is any retardation
>applied to the spinning wheels before they're
>lifted into their stowage position?  Or can they
>still be spinning after they're up?

Funny you should mention it... Last week I took a trip to the
Lone Star Aviation Museum in Galveston (highly recommended),
and picked up a copy of a B-29 manual.  (They have for sale
copies of manuals for a number of WWII-era aircraft.)
It cautions the pilot to apply brakes prior to retracting
the gear.

---
David K. Cornutt, Residentially Engineered, Huntsville, AL
email: cornutt@hiwaay.net
I'm a rocket scientist.  Don't tell me what TV I must see.