Re: Takeoff wheel spin

From:         sspade@mindspring.com (bogie)
Date:         07 Sep 96 17:09:10

In article <airliners.1996.1706@ohare.Chicago.COM>, jbtex@aol.com (JbTex) wrote:
> When jet airliners take off, they seem to tuck their
> landing gear away soon after liftoff.  Is any retardation
> applied to the spinning wheels before they're
> lifted into their stowage position?  Or can they
> still be spinning after they're up?

All the aircraft I work on use either mechanical or hydraulic brakes to
stop the spinning wheels when they're up in the wheel well.  On the 727,
737 and MD88, the nose wheel is stoped by a mechanical brake made of an
asbestos brake pad mounted on the ceiling of the wheel well.  The mains on
the 727 are stopped hydraulically by the application of the aircraft
brakes using a separate valve.  The 737 mains use a similar system.  You
can sometimes hear the nose wheels stopping after the gear come up if you
are sitting close enough up front.

Tom