Re: Takeoff wheel spin

From:         faurecm@halcyon.com (C. Marin Faure)
Date:         07 Sep 96 17:09:09

In article <airliners.1996.1706@ohare.Chicago.COM>, jbtex@aol.com (JbTex) wrote:

> As a casual observer of a/c, I've got a question.
>
> When jet airliners take off, they seem to tuck their
> landing gear away soon after liftoff.  Is any retardation
> applied to the spinning wheels before they're
> lifted into their stowage position?  Or can they
> still be spinning after they're up?

I believe that the wheels come into contact with rub strips or blocks when
they settle into their retracted position, which stops the wheel
rotation.  To my knowledge there is no automatic brake application as the
wheels are retracted.  Even if there is, it wouldn't have any effect on
the nosewheels as they are not equipped with brakes.  It may be that the
wheels are simply allowed to spin down on their own after retraction.  The
next time I talk to someone at Boeing who I think would have the answer
I'll try to remember to ask.

When I used to fly an airplane with retractable gear (Rockwell 112), I
always tapped the brakes before retracting the gear, but this was more for
my own desire not to wear anything out.  It was not part of the published
operating procedure of the plane, and the main gear wheel wells were
equipped with rubber blocks that brought the tires to a stop.  I don't
remember if the nosewheel had a similar braking system or if it just spun
down on its own.

C. Marin Faure
   author, Flying a Floatplane