Re: Diesel aircraft engines

From:         ABrowne@mtl.marconi.ca (Alan Browne)
Date:         07 Sep 96 17:09:08

In article <airliners.1996.1759@ohare.Chicago.COM>, tim@me.rochester.edu
says...

>I guess passenger carrying Rigid Airships count as  "airliners"
>

>Richard N. Rea (rrea@caedm.et.byu.edu) wrote:

>*   The Germans, of course, built the only rigid dirigibles (save one,
>* R101) did not suffer an inflight structural failure.
>
>I think you confuse the R-100 with the R-101. The R-100 was
>successful, but made but a single transatlantic crossing to
>Canada. The R-101 was a whole nother story, the target weight
>was miscalculated, and the whole airship had to be cut in half
>and lengthened by 2 gas cells (100 ft?) before being released.
>It crashed and burned in bad weather on its maiden flight to
>India.
>
>*   If people on the thread don't remember, Nevile Shute (Norway)
>* was one of the design team for R101 and in a book on it insisted
>* it was done right.  It didn't have much chance to prove it.

I recently read "Slide Rule" by Neville Shute.  It is a great story that
everyone involved in aerospace should read.  Mr. Shute was on the -100 team,
and by all accounts they did there job in a sober fashion.  His treatment of
the "government" R-101 team is a bit harsh, but probably mostly true.  His
observation that government teams get trapped by their own heady
expectations and then are unable to change design objectives and methods due
to "public face saving" rings very true.

This book, while written in the fifties, is great read today.

Alan Browne
Canadian Marconi Company.