Re: Engine fire extinguishers.., and discharged fire bottles

From:         rickydik@ix.netcom.com (RD Rick)
Date:         07 Sep 96 17:09:05

In <airliners.1996.1749@ohare.Chicago.COM> tanksalot@news-e2c.gnn.com
writes:
>>Re: Engine fire extinguishers...do they exist?
>>Could anyone tell me if there are any fire extinguishers mounted
>>inside or close to the engines in modern airliners? If there are
>>any - how do they work? Any special gas, different to those used
>>in regular fire extinguishers?

This thread brought back memory of an even about fifteen years ago.
I was in jumpseat of a DC8-51 on a revenue flight on a third world
airline.  Two fire bottles indicated low pressure on our approach to an
intermediate stopover.  Upon landing I offered to help troubleshoot,
which the captain accepted.

A mech opened the access panels to the fire bottles near the leading
edge of the wing, and verified two bottles had discharged.  I observed
that the leading edge of the wing was awfully hot, and mentioned it.
To that, they went back to the cockpit and found the wing anti-ice
lever still set to Open.

The Captain had ordered anti-ice as we were passing through a minor
cloud layer in our climb, and never ordered the engr to turn it off..

RD
    God is only second in command in some cockpits.