Re: Can't use GPS on Alaska Airlines

From:         w3ho@aol.com (W3HO)
Date:         07 Sep 96 17:09:03

Read RTCA DO-119 from 1963 for data concerning the FM radio interferring
with an ILS Localizer receiver on a flight in England.  CFIT resulted,
rather than a mid-air.

A follow-on study was documented in RTCA DO-199 in 1988.

Also read the September 1996 issue of Spectrum, published by the Institute
of Electrical & Electronics Engineers (IEEE) for an excellent summary of
the work of RTCA Special Committee 177 (SC-177) concerning Portable
Electronic Devices carried and used aboard aircraft.

Folks, turn your darned stuff off during landings.  This is especially
true of your belt pagers and cell phones.  They emit a lot!  You might not
care about the effects, but I may be on the same plane, and I DO CARE!
I'm a mean old guy and may just turn it off for you.

73, Doug Hughes in Annapolis, RTCA SC-177 participant