Re: Can't use GPS on Alaska Airlines

From:         kbarr@csn.net (Keith Barr)
Date:         07 Sep 96 17:09:03
Followups:    1 2 3

Dave Benjamin  <dbenj@slip.net> wrote:
>It seems incomprehensible that aircraft avionics that MUST frequently
>fly over high-powered radio transmitters could be so suceptible to stray
>onboard RF.  My understanding is that the restrictions on in-flight use
>of electronic devices is based entirely on unsubstantiated anecdotal
>evidence.

Well, after reading about CD players being able to effect navigation bands
I did a little empirical test.  I put a CD player near my VOR radio, and
sure enough I could hear the music coming through on the VOR!  Certainly
not unsubstantiated anecdotal evidence.

I am sure that there are some experts who can explain this, but as I
understand it (I am not an EE, nor do I play one on TV), the RF comes from
crystal oscillators in the CD players and in the FM sets.
--
Keith Barr                                       COMM AS&MEL/IA/A&IGI AERO/EIT
kbarr@csn.net                                            Westminster, Colorado