Re: Can't use GPS on Alaska Airlines

From:         rdd@netcom.com (Robert Dorsett)
Date:         07 Sep 96 17:09:02

In article <airliners.1996.1750@ohare.Chicago.COM> Dave Benjamin <dbenj@slip.net> writes:
>It seems incomprehensible that aircraft avionics that MUST frequently
>fly over high-powered radio transmitters could be so suceptible to stray
>onboard RF.  My understanding is that the restrictions on in-flight use
>of electronic devices is based entirely on unsubstantiated anecdotal
>evidence.

ASRS is chock full of reports in which crews have methodically gone in
back following navigation problems, told some kid to turn off his Walkman,
and the problem goes away.  Tell him to turn it back on, problem comes back.
It might be "inconceivable" to you, but there is abundant evidence that it
happens.

As for hardening the airplane against gigawatt transmitters vs. milliwatt
transmitters, the phrase "apples and oranges" comes to mind.

                                       ftp://wilbur.pr.erau.edu/pub/av