From:         Don.Stokes@vuw.ac.nz (Don Stokes)
Date:         07 Sep 96 17:09:01

C. Marin Faure <faurecm@halcyon.com> wrote:
>In article <airliners.1996.1702@ohare.Chicago.COM>, Don.Stokes@vuw.ac.nz
>(Don Stokes) wrote:
>> Even if the SST had survived, the huge drop in seat-mile costs that came
>> with the 747 (and other widebodies) would have meant there was always a
>> market for cheap subsonic travel.  I doubt any SST with the equivalent
>> capacity of a 707 could come close to a 747 when looking at raw seat-mile
>> numbers, and practical experience with Concorde tends to bear this out.
>
>I suspect you're right.  I was simply stating what Mr. Tripp's intention
>was at the time, when everyone seemed to think that supersonic travel was
>the answer to everyone's travel needs.

That certainly was Trippe's view, however when push came to shove, other
airlines didn't share Trippe's enthusiasm.  Trippe himself didn't
actually put his money where his mouth was on the SST, although he did
take options on Concorde (which were quietly forgotten about after Trippe
stepped down).

--
Don Stokes, Network Manager, Victoria University of Wellington, New Zealand.
don@vuw.ac.nz(work) don@zl2tnm.gen.nz(home) +64 4 495-5052 Fax+64 4 471-5386