Re: Diesel aircraft engines

From:         graemec@ibm.net
Date:         03 Sep 96 01:17:01

In <airliners.1996.1667@ohare.Chicago.COM>, weldfish@aol.com (WELDFISH) writes:
>Group;
>
>Wern't the Junkers "Jumo" aeroengines of WWII diesel? (....and if not the
>Jumo, there was a Junkers diesel....
>And props are not for boats. Proper boatmen call props"wheels"...
>
>Tony Sebastian

Yes, they were diesels.  I think they were "vertically" opposed with two
crankshafts (on top and bottom) and two pistons moving towards each
other in the same cylinder.  Were they used in the DoX?

I think Karl Swartz mentioned this earlier - and also the Fairbanks-Morse
engines with the same layout.  I recall the Jumo was built in England under
licence by Napier as the Culverin but I don't recall any production use of the
engine.

Napier developed diesels further after WW2 and produced the compound Nomad
which was also horizontally opposed (but with only a single crankshaft, I
think).  The exhaust drove a multi-stage axial compressor - for inlet air -
and the same turbine was also connected to the crankshaft by an infinitely
variable air coupled gearbox.  My memory is a little scratchy but I think it
was also a two-stroke with sleeve valves.

The only conventional aspect of the engine was that it didn't run on
carrot juice.

Napier also pursued the Jumo theme for ships and locos.  The finale was the
Deltic which I think was triangular in cross-section with crankshafts at each
apex and cylinders as the sides.  It powered a large class of locos for British
Rail and I believe a marine version was also produced.  I think it was also a
two-stroke - the exhaust note of the locos was certainly unique.

Graeme Cant.