Re: Diesel aircraft engines

From:         wares@rhoda.fordham.edu
Date:         03 Sep 96 01:17:01

> : >The Hindenburg (and I think the other Zepplins) had diesel  engines
> : >specifically designed for aviation uses.
>
> : My source reported that the Zepplins used "Blaugas", which accounted for about
> : one-third the total gas volume.  They were V-12's.

The Graf Zeppelin used blaugas; most others used gasoline or Diesel
engines.

>   The first thought is to ask why not the hydrogen.  The second thought is
> that they might have hoped for helium sometime if the political situation
> cooled or they won the war.  The third thought is could Graf Zeppelin and
> and Hindenburg float with helium?

There were experiments with hydrogen as fuel, but that burned up the
lifting gas.  The Graf Zeppelin couldn't have used helium; the Hindenburg
could, although with some loss of passenger or freight capacity.  The
second Graf Zeppelin of 1938 was similar to the Hindenburg, but designed
for helium.

>   The Germans, of course, built the only rigid dirigibles (save one,
> R101) did not suffer an inflight structural failure.  The Los
> Angeles flew ok with helium, but maybe it was designed for it.
>
>   If people on the thread don't remember, Nevile Shute (Norway)
> was one of the design team for R101 and in a book on it insisted
> it was done right.  It didn't have much chance to prove it.

It was the R100 that didn't fail and had Shute as a designer; the
R101 crashed and burned in France in 1930.

_Hindenburg: an Illustrated History_ by Rick Archbold and Marschall
is well worth reading.

Michael Wares                              wares@rhoda.fordham.edu