Re: Diesel aircraft engines

From:         tim@me.rochester.edu (Tim Takahashi)
Date:         03 Sep 96 01:16:59

I guess passenger carrying Rigid Airships count as  "airliners"

Richard N. Rea (rrea@caedm.et.byu.edu) wrote:
: >The Hindenburg (and I think the other Zepplins) had diesel engines
: >specifically designed for aviation uses.

Most all of the WW-I military zepps ran Maybach Otto Cycle motors.
The Hindenburg was unusual in having diesels.

: My source reported that the Zepplins used "Blaugas", which accounted for about
: one-third the total gas volume.  They were V-12's.
                      ^^^
  as in fuel? or as in lifting gas?

Gerard Foley writes :
*  The first thought is to ask why not the hydrogen.  The second
* thought is that they might have hoped for helium sometime if the
* political situation cooled or they won the war.  The third thought
* is could Graf Zeppelin and and Hindenburg float with helium?

Hindenburg and G-Z-II (not the original) were designed for
helium.

*   The Germans, of course, built the only rigid dirigibles (save one,
* R101) did not suffer an inflight structural failure.

I think you confuse the R-100 with the R-101. The R-100 was
successful, but made but a single transatlantic crossing to
Canada. The R-101 was a whole nother story, the target weight
was miscalculated, and the whole airship had to be cut in half
and lengthened by 2 gas cells (100 ft?) before being released.
It crashed and burned in bad weather on its maiden flight to
India.

*   If people on the thread don't remember, Nevile Shute (Norway)
* was one of the design team for R101 and in a book on it insisted
* it was done right.  It didn't have much chance to prove it.

-tim