Re: Engine fire extinguishers... do they exist?

From:         tanksalot@news-e2c.gnn.com
Date:         03 Sep 96 01:16:57

>Re: Engine fire extinguishers...do they exist?

>Could anyone tell me if there are any fire extinguishers mounted
>inside or close to the engines in modern airliners? If there are
>any - how do they work? Any special gas, different to those used
>in regular fire extinguishers?

I've worked on turboprops and currently help build turbofans for a
major manufacturer.  Each plane/engine I have worked on has had some
kind of fire extinguisher system-generally a halon type.  The bottle
is fired, and the halon flows through tubing inside the cowling.  The
tubing has strategically placed openings near major sources of
combustion or ignition.  The bottles are one shot deals, some engines
have more than one bottle, some have interconnected bottles. I hope
this helps answer your question.