Re: Engine fire extinguishers... do they exist?

From:         faurecm@halcyon.com (C. Marin Faure)
Date:         03 Sep 96 01:16:57

In article <airliners.1996.1683@ohare.Chicago.COM>, Erico Oller Westerberg
<ew@appelberg.se> wrote:

> Re: Engine fire extinguishers...do they exist?
>

> Could anyone tell me if there are any fire extinguishers mounted
> inside or close to the engines in modern airliners? If there are
> any - how do they work? Any special gas, different to those used
> in regular fire extinguishers?

There are fire switches on the aisle stand in modern airliners, one for
each engine, and they're usually mounted right behind the power levers.
Flipping the switch shuts off the fuel and does some other things,
including, I believe, activating a fire suppression system on the engine
itself.  However, I don't know what fire suppression material is used.  I
would think that a gas like Halon would be dispersed almost instantly by
the airflow, so perhaps it uses a foam that will stay on the engine.

C. Marin Faure
   author, Flying a Floatplane