Re: Engine fire extinguishers... do they exist?

From:         drinkard@bcstec.ca.boeing.com (Terrell D. Drinkard)
Date:         03 Sep 96 01:16:56

Erico Oller Westerberg  <ew@appelberg.se> wrote:
>Re: Engine fire extinguishers...do they exist?
>

>Could anyone tell me if there are any fire extinguishers mounted
>inside or close to the engines in modern airliners? If there are
>any - how do they work? Any special gas, different to those used
>in regular fire extinguishers?

Current production aircraft use Halon gas fire extinguishers mounted
in the cargo compartment, with tubes running out to each engine.  In
general, the flight crew has two shots of extinguishant to put out
the fire.

There are dual fire detection circuits in each engine nacelle, when
a valid signal is received from both circuits, the fire warning
alarm is activated.  Then the flight crew will activate the fire
extinguisher(s) by pulling and turning the fire handles which are
usually just aft of the throttle quadrant.

Similarly, there are extinguisher systems mounted in the APU and
on the lower cargo deck.

--
Terry
drinkard@bcstec.ca.boeing.com