Re: Inert Gas In Fuel Tanks

From:         Bob Falkiner <falkiner@interlog.com>
Date:         03 Sep 96 01:16:54

astroboy wrote:

> "P. Wezeman" <pwezeman@blue.weeg.uiowa.edu> wrote:
> >    Are inert gases used in the fuel tanks of any present aircraft?

> Regarding WWII aircraft, the Soviet IL-2 Sturmovik and American F4U
> Corsair (early models only) used exhaust gases to inert the fuel tank
> ullage.  Everything that I've read indicates that it worked successfully.
>
> I don't know of its application on modern aircraft.

Mikeit takes only a small percentage of an inert gas to render an explosive atmosphere
"safe" regardless of what the gas is. It comes down to energy of explosion
and energy to heat up inert gases to the point where the combustion is
self containing.  If you blow up the main fuel tank, inert gas protection
is not going to mean much, and if you just want to protect the air space in the
thank. then a little bit of exhaust gas is going to be hard to beat.