From:         faurecm@halcyon.com (C. Marin Faure)
Date:         03 Sep 96 01:16:53

AT3@reedycreek.stanford.edu (Arnold Tang) wrote:

> The large-diameter-fuselage A-3XXX may open up previously unidentified
> possibilities for economical air freight currently not addressed by the
> 747-400 (and even the 747-X with no improvement in fuselage diameter).

Actually, studies have shown that the deck-and-a-half arrangement of the
747 is a better way to accomodate cargo than a full-length double deck.
The full double-deck design has some advantages when it comes to
accomodating people, but it is not the optimum design for both cargo and
people.  There have been double-deck studies going on at Boeing for years
(one was to put a 767 fuselage on top of a 747 fuselage), but so far, none
of them have proved worth pursuing past the initial study phase (to my
knowledge, anyway).

C. Marin Faure
   author, Flying a Floatplane