From:         M.J.Jennings@amtp.cam.ac.uk (Michael Jennings)
Date:         03 Sep 96 01:16:52

don shifris <don@firstsol.com> wrote:
>>I don't think there is any doubt that Boeing will launch the B747-500X/
>>-600X.  (Supposedly, most airports can handle the B747X without any major
>>updates.)  It's most likely that Boeing will officially announce the
>>launch during the Farnborough Air Show in September.  I don't think Airbus
>>will let Boeing have the monopoly and the A3XX will most likely be built,
>>too.  However, Airbus does not seem to have secure all the funding and
>>potential partners.  Airbus will be at least three years behind.
>
>The imminent lauch of the -500/-600 747 received considerable play in Aviation
>Week recently, along with fiarly detailed specifications. One can only
>conclude if the specifications are that detailed, about all that is needed is
>a first order. I know of at least one major airline who is already committed
>to these aircraft. They expect to be either the first or second announced
>order. It is clear, at least to me, that negotiations involving the sale of
>these aircraft are quite advanced, even if it is unannounced.

	A Boeing source was quoted in the Independent on Sunday (a London
Newspaper) as saying that 'The launch customer will be an Asian airline'. This
is almost certainly either Cathay Pacific or Singapore Airlines. Flight
International last week also reported the United is likely to convert some
of its recent 747-400 orders to one of the new types (which is why the engines
weren't specified for the entire order).
	The 747-500/600 are going to be launched at Farnborough. I don't
think there is much doubt about this now. The questions ares whether the new
757 varients are going to be launched there as well, and what Airbus is
going to do to try to steal Boeing's thunder.

	Michael.
--
Michael Jennings
Department of Applied Mathematics and Theoretical Physics