Re: 737 NACA inlet with moving parts?

From:         BMADDISO@bcsc02.gov.bc.ca
Date:         23 Aug 96 13:45:04

"David K. Cornutt" <cornutt@hiwaay.net> writes:

>I've read that some 737-200s were equipped for operating out
>of unimproved airfields.  Supposedly, they were equipped with
>(among other things) air jets at the bottoms of the nacelle
>inlets, to blow debris away from the intakes.  Is this slush
>deflector door part of that package?
>
>And just how many of these "unimproved-field" -200s (if
>any) did Boeing actually build?

Probably less than 30. The package was an add-on option and so is not
discernable from the model number (737-2xxx). The full package consists
of vortex blowers on each nacelle, a gravel deflector on the nosewheel,
a teflon undercoat on the belly and a mesh grille inside each engine
intake. Variations were made depending on customer specifications, eg.
some Alaska 737s have the vortex blowers but not the gravel deflector.

>From personal observations and photos I have seen, the kit was installed
on 737s of Wien, Alaska, Saudia, Air Tanzania, President of Niger,
Nordair Canada and (possibly) Quebecair. The Wien examples are now with
NWT Air and the Nordair fleet was absorbed into Canadian Airlines.

Brian