From:         AT3@reedycreek.stanford.edu (Arnold Tang)
Date:         23 Aug 96 13:45:01

One thing to remember about the success of the B747 is that it is also a
highly successful cargo aircraft.  I don't have numbers in front of me, but
I've been told that some routes make more money on cargo in the belly and
up front than the seats do.  The 747 is also unmatched for landing-shortage
airports, and for carrying large or great quantities of cargo.

The large-diameter-fuselage A-3XXX may open up previously unidentified
possibilities for economical air freight currently not addressed by the
747-400 (and even the 747-X with no improvement in fuselage diameter).