Re: Inert Gas In Fuel Tanks

From:         wen@infi.net (W.E. Nichols)
Date:         23 Aug 96 13:44:57

astroboy <astroboy@qnet.com> wrote:

+Regarding WWII aircraft, the Soviet IL-2 Sturmovik and American F4U
+Corsair (early models only) used exhaust gases to inert the fuel tank
+ullage.  Everything that I've read indicates that it worked successfully.

I found your comment on the F4U interesting, so I asked the question in
another group.  I am not dispute your statement, it may be correct
considering the "early ac changes."  I do seem to recall the F4U had self
sealing tanks.  Here was the answer.

Nick,
Sorry, but not on the F4U.  The pilot's manuals I have or have seen clearly
show the CO2 bottle for the wing tank purge and explain it use/operation.
There is a second bottle for the blow down of the u/c if the hydraulics are
gone.  Capt. Blackburn disscusses the system and the fatal (for one pilot)
similarity in operation between the two in the early F4Us.
I do not know about the IL-2 so will only say it sounds like a bad idea with

out some kind of filter and cooling to keep hot particles from touching off
the vapor. Gas engine exhaust has a fair percentage of H2O, not something
I'd want mixed with my avgas at 20,000ft.  Wouldn't put it past the Russians
thou'.
The original Lexington and Saratoga did use an internal combustion engine to

blanket the aviation gas storage and the surrounding voids by pumping the
exhaust into the spaces. In 1940(?) the engine had to be increased as the
original's output wasn't enough. The reference is in Stern's book "The
Lexington Class Carriers".
Hope this helps.
Ben Schapiro
schapiro@notis.com

Nick
W.E. Nichols    If a frog has wings, it wouldn't bump it's
wen@infi.net    it's ass everytime it jumped.