From:         Jean-Francois Mezei <jfmezei@videotron.ca>
Date:         18 Aug 96 20:13:39
Followups:    1 2 3

Jennings Heilig wrote:
> While the new 747 variants are certainly going to be
> different airplanes from current versions, the Airbus proposal for the
> A3XX will be a new airplane from the ground up (if I understand
> correctly).  While the guts may be different in the Boeing design, a
> fair amount of the nuts and bolt engineering is already done and paid
> for.

Well, whether Boeing or Airbus build a brand new plane, it does not
necessarily mean that they start from nothing. Both already have
computer systems (FBW). Airbus already has experience in adapting its
320 systems to its other planes (340 and the latest model of the 310).

And before I would beleive that Boeing can just extend the 747 without
redesign costs etc, I would like to know more about what changes had to
be done between the 747-100 and 200, 200 to 300 and 300 to 400. Are the
landing gears the same ? Are all the doors the same design, even the
ones on the second deck ? Are the wings identical ? Made of the same
materials ? Are engines the same ? Obviously, the cockpit in the 400 was
re-designed.

If Boeing is to build a super version of the 747, how much of the
existing 747-400 can be re-used  ?

If Airbus is to build a new big plane, how much of its 340 can be
re-used ? (Look at what they were able to do with their 310 to make the
600 super-guppy transport).

So, before saying that Airbus has to build a brand new plane from
scratch at great expense, and Boeing can just extend its 747 at little
expense, I would be more interested in a comparison of the major systems
which Boeing and Airbus would have to design FROM SCRATCH for their new
big planes and which systems could be used with few modifications from
their existing planes.