Re: 727 rudder

From:         orourke@starlink.com (Ken O'Rourke)
Date:         08 Feb 96 03:21:05

hazlett@moon.pr.erau.edu (Kathryn Hazlett) wrote:

>Why does the 727 have a two piece rudder?

>What are the advantages or disadvantages of a two piece rudder?

Until the 727 experts weigh in, here is my two cents on why in general
it is desirable to have multiple sections of a control surface;

I believe that having multiple surfaces allows you to have independent
actuators on each so that in the event of a failure you maintain
sufficient control authority to land.  Takeoff with potential engine
outs and crosswind landings require the greater  rudder authority and
hopefully a pilot could find a suitable airport to bring it in.

Also, perhaps it is desirable to lock out one of the surfaces in
cruise to minimize the exposure to actuator failures resulting in a
full authority hardover.